How are you getting ready for spring? Whether you’re establishing new cleaning habits or ‘marie-kondoing’ your clutter, it feels good to hit the refresh button.
Here at Rawco, that’s why we’re getting a head start on spring by dispelling myths about raw dog food. Because, even when warmer weather makes your pup’s paws muddier, our Rawco blends guarantee that his diet is always clean.
So, get your big bin ready, because after you’re done with that yard work, it’s time to throw out those myths about raw dog food!
The good, the bad, and the meaty
Not everyone loves raw blends as much as your pup does. But, we’re here to change that. We’ve compiled a list of three helpful facts that’ll give you a fresh take on some common misconceptions about raw dog food. Get in the know by reading these facts: We hope this information will help you take the plunge.
- FACT: Dogs are naturally equipped to digest raw dog food!
THE SCOOP: The meats used in raw blends (like Rawco’s) are made with fresh, premium ingredients that are responsibly sourced. Our dedication to high-quality ingredients means that the threat of parasites is uncommon in healthy dogs. Dogs also possess all of the natural “tools” to break down and tolerate raw dog food: their short digestive tracts help food pass quickly through their system, which means harmful bacteria doesn’t have time to fester. The antibacterial enzyme called lysozyme is present in your pup’s saliva, and aids in killing off harmful germs. Finally, canine stomachs are very high in acidity, which, according to Dogs Naturally Magazine, creates a hostile environment for bacteria.
Remember, your dog’s anatomy is different than yours so, just because raw meat can make you sick, this doesn’t mean it isn’t right for your dog! If you’re still worried, an enhanced safety measure is to deep-freeze raw food for several weeks to effectively kill any harmful parasites.
- FACT: Raw dog food won’t interfere with existing behaviour.
THE SCOOP: Some dogs naturally have a higher predator drive, which means they’ll be more likely to chase squirrels or rabbits, but this is not a reflection of the food they eat! Dog Food Insider reports that feeding raw meat to your dog will have zero effect on their existing behavioural traits.
Remember that dogs are, by nature, predators. However, they can be bred and trained to avoid animals that could be considered “prey” to them. Think about the many dog breeds herd and protect livestock: eating some raw beef or turkey won’t make the dog attack the herd. If you’ve witnessed a dog that’s very aggressive, or can’t resist chasing anything that moves, that has everything to do with a high prey drive, and little to do with their diet. In fact, certain pups will have lower prey drives and are disinterested in fetching, chasing, or tracking prey-type animals.
Raw dog food will give your dog a shiny coat, better breath, and greater energy, but it certainly won’t affect his usual demeanour toward people or animals.
FACT: Raw dog food constitutes a well-balanced diet.
Remember, a balanced diet for humans is different than a balanced diet for your fur kids. A canine nutritionist can appropriately balance meat, bone and organ, along with some complex carbs, to ensure raw dog food will support their biological and gastrointestinal make up.
Out with the old and in with the nutrients . . . what’s in raw dog food, anyway?
One misconception about raw dog food is that you can essentially serve your dog a bowl of hamburger beef and call it a day. However, dogs need more than lean, raw meat: they also require bones and even organ to experience the full benefits of raw. All Rawco’s blends contain 85% meat, 5% organ and 10% fruits and veggies. We’re proud to say that our raw dog food is formulated by our certified canine nutritionist, who specifically creates blends to support canine health and to remedy common ailments.
Meat, organ, and bone provide essential nutrients for your dog, and small amounts of complex carbs, like kale and berries, are rich in vitamins. This ratio ensures that your dog receives additional antioxidants to aid in digestive health and disease prevention.
- Coconut oil: to aid in metabolic health, good source of linoleic acid.
- Spinach: rich in antioxidants and a high source of iron
- Carrots: support good eye + skin health, good for digestion
- Papaya: cancer protector, natural dewormer, and improves eye, muscle, and boost immune system.
- Pumpkin: superior source of fibre and beta carotene, antioxidants, vitamin A, potassium, magnesium, copper and zinc.
- Apple cider vinegar: detoxifies organs, soothes itchy skin, natural insect repellant
Raw dog food also has a high moisture content, and therefore keeps your pup hydrated, naturally!
Food handling instructions
For those canine parents who are concerned for their health, and the health of human family members, remember that you should always handle your pup’s raw food the same way you handle your own. Raw dog food, like other raw meats, can spread bacteria, so you’ll want to make sure you’re practicing safe food handling.
- To prevent spoilage and bacteria formation, always store raw dog food in the freezer until it’s ready to be eaten. Move to the fridge to thaw as needed—we recommend defrosting one night before feeding. Never leave raw food out on the counter—always refrigerate.
- After putting your dog’s food in a stainless-steel bowl, make sure to wash the disposable container in warm soapy water before recycling, and sanitize the feeding area, too.
- Always check to see if your dog has eaten everything. Do NOT let the bowl sit idle for any length of time, especially if it has leftover meat in it. Dispose of excess food, or refrigerate to serve later, and clean the bowl with warm, soapy water after your pup has eaten.
- Prevent bacteria from spreading by cleaning bowls and serving utensils thoroughly. Take special care to wash your hands frequently. Although your dog’s mouth does contain anti-bacterial enzymes, you are still responsible for preventing the spread of bacteria. The odds of him getting you (or your family) sick are slim, but owners should still practice safe food handling to keep themselves, and their fur babies, healthy.
Your Dog Loves Raw, and You Should, Too!
No matter what your assumptions about raw dog food are, the most important thing is a healthy and happy pup. At Rawco, we know first-hand that a raw diet can transform your dog’s life—just ask Harley Dean!
At Rawco, we’re committed to making high-quality raw dog food for your pup so that you don’t have to! Our pre-portioned blends are made from fresh, whole ingredients and shipped right to your door. Get the convenience of kibble, without sacrificing nutrition, by signing up for a custom subscription for your dog, or get in touch to learn more!